The Reserve Bank of India (RBI) has mandated that all online, point-of-sale, and in-app transactions made by credit and debit cards be replaced by unique tokens by June 30, 2022.
According to the RBI, “Tokenisation refers to replacement of actual card details with an alternate code called the “token”, which shall be unique for a combination of card, token requestor (i.e. the entity which accepts request from the customer for tokenisation of a card and passes it on to the card network to issue a corresponding token) and device (referred hereafter as “identified device”).
Below are important FAQs about card tokenisation as the
1. What is Secure/Tokenise my Card?
You would have observed that websites and apps offered options to customers to save their card details. It made payment quick and easy. Effective 1st July 2022, merchants cannot save/store customers card numbers, CVV and Expiration date, and any other sensitive card information. It is as per the RBI rule to offer enhanced card security. Secure/Tokenise my Card refers to replacement of actual or clear card number with an alternate code called the “Token” at online websites/apps.
2.What are the charges that I need to pay for availing this service?
You need not pay any charges for availing this service.
3. Why should I Secure/Tokenise my Card?
A secure/tokenised card transaction is safer as the actual card details are not shared / stored with the merchants to perform the transaction. Securing/Tokenisation also helps you save the hassle of inputting your complete card details each time
4. How do I Secure/Tokenise my Card?
Step 1 – Visit your favourite online application/website to purchase grocery, pay bills or order food and initiate a transaction.
Step 2 – In the check-out page, select HDFC Bank Credit/Debit Card and provide CVV
Step 3 – Tick mark the check box “Secure your Card” or “Save Card as per RBI guidelines”
Step 4 – Enter the OTP received on your registered mobile number
Step 5 – Congratulations!!! Your card details are now secured.
5. What if I do not Secure/Tokenise my Card before 1st July 2022?
If you had saved your card details at any merchant website/application, the same will be deleted before 1st July 2022. To pay each time, you will have to enter full card details.
6. Once Secured/Tokenised, how will I recognise my card on the merchant page?
You will be able to recongnise your card using the last 4 digits of the card on the merchant page which is the only detail that will continue to be stored by the merchant.
7. Are my card details safe after I Secure/Tokenise my Card?
Actual card data, token and other relevant details are stored in a secure encrypted mode by HDFC Bank and / or authorised card networks. Merchants will not store full card number or any other card detail.
8. How can I manage my Secure/Tokenised cards?
Bank will provide a portal to you to view and manage the Secured/Tokenised cards. You can view / delete tokens for the respective cards through this portal.
9. Do I need to Secure/Tokenise my Card for International online transactions?
No. Tokenisation is applicable only for domestic transactions.
10. Do I need to Secure/Tokenise my Card for POS transactions that I do at merchant outlets?
No. Card on file Tokenisation is only required for carrying out the online transactions
11. Is it mandatory for me to Secure/Tokenise my Card?
No, you can choose not to get your card tokenised. If not Secured/Tokenised, starting 1st July 2022, you would need to enter the full card number, CVV and Expiry date every time to complete your online transactions.
12. Can a merchant Secure/Tokenise my Card without my consent?
No. The registration for a tokenisation request is done only with explicit customer consent through Additional Factor of Authentication (AFA), and not by way of a forced / default / automatic selection of check box, radio button, etc.
13. Will I need to Secure/Tokenise my Card at every merchant?
Yes. A token is unique to the card at a specific merchant. If you intend to use your card multiple merchants, then you must secure your card at all the merchants.
14. Is there any limit on the number of cards that I can Secure/Tokenise?
No, you can request for tokenisation of any number of cards.
16. Can I select which card to be used in case I have more than one card tokenised?
For performing any transaction, you are free to use any of the cards by identifying the last 4 digits of the card.
17. What will happen to the token if my card gets replaced or renewed or reissued or upgraded?
You would need to again visit the merchant page and create a fresh token.